My Guide Website?
Gdańsk: Old Town Private Walking Tour with Legends and Facts176 Reviews
Discover the historical and cultural heritage of a major industrial seatown and home to the Solidarity movement, Gdansk. See Old Town highlights such as the Long Market, St Mary’s Basilica, and more.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Gdansk:If youʻre booking your trip to Gdansk last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Gdańsk: City Sights and History Guided Walking Tour
- Gdansk, Gdynia, and Sopot: 8-Hour Private Sightseeing Tour
- Malbork Castle: Private Tour from Gdansk, Sopot or Gdynia
- Gdansk: Extreme Gun Shooting Experience with Transfers
- From Gdansk: Half-Day Malbork Castle Tour with Audioguide
- Visit top attractions in Gdansk with a 5-Stars Private Guide
- Discover the hidden gems of the historic Old Town with St Mary’s Church
- Marvel at the amber altar of St Bridget's Church
- Learn about the Solidarity movement at the European Solidarity Centre
- Immerse yourself in local history, culture and traditions
DescriptionGdansk is Poland's principal seaport, industrial center and a symbolic place where the collapse of the communist Eastern Bloc began with the Solidarity movement. Discover the fascinating history facts and legends about this historic industrial seatown. Fall in love with the beautiful Gdansk Old Town. During the 2-hour tour you will learn basic information about the city, with tips on the best local restaurants, pubs, and souvenir shops. The tour will start in the main entrance to the medieval city wall, Upland Gate (Brama Wyzynna), continuing past the Golden Gate and along the historic Dluga street to the Long Market. In the beating heart of the Old Town, you will see medieval architectural monuments such as the Gdansk Town Hall, the Golden House and the 17th century Neptune’s Fountain. You will also visit a former meeting place of the city’s merchants, Artus Court (Dwor Artusa), which now serves as a branch of the Gdansk History Museum with collections of local history and arts. Follow your Private Guide to the Green Gate to enjoy the scenic view of Motlawa River. The next point of interest will be the soaring St Mary’s Basilica. Step inside one the largest brick churches in the world to see the grand hall church featuring an ornate altar, organ set, and a royal chapel. The walking tour will end at the 17th century Great Armoury, which is one of the city’s finest examples of Renaissance architecture. Choose the 3-hour option to learn even more about Gdansk and visit other parts of the charming Old Town.The extended route includes the islands on the Motlawa River. Take a walk through the redeveloped island of Wyspa Spichrzow to see old brick structures and warehouse ruins, and learn about the historical background of trade in the city. In Olowianka Old Town you will also see the beautiful red brick Baltic Symphony Hall. Pick the 4-hour option to enrich your Gdansk experience with a visit to St. Bridget's Church. This hidden Old Town gem is best known as a sanctuary for the leaders of Solidarnosc under martial law. On one of the huge church doors, you can see various Solidarity scenes from August 1980 until the imposition of Martial Law in December 1981. Apart from the fascinating historical background, the church also boasts a display of religious artefacts and a remarkable amber altar, made out of the most recognizable raw material of this region. The 6-hour option will give you a complete experience of Gdansk, with a route extending from Old Town to the Main Town. See the Monument to the Fallen Shipyard Workers of 1970, commemorating those workers who died in the anti-communist riots, and visit the European Solidarity Centre. In this modern museum you will learn about the Solidarity riots and prominent trade union movement that initiated the end of the communist government in Poland. This is a must-do for the history geeks!
IncludesPrivate Walking Tour of Gdansk Old Town 5-Stars Guide with Official Gdansk License speaking fluently in the chosen language Entry to free parts of St. Mary's Church (all options) Sightseeing in Wyspa Spichrzow (in 3,4 and 6-hour options) Regular tickets to St. Bridget's Church (in 4 and 6-hour options) Skip-the-line ticket to the European Solidarity Centre (in 6-hour option) Pick up from the accommodation located in Gdansk Old Town
- Please check your email the day before the tour to receive important information Pickup service is available only in the area of Gdansk Old Town. It means that your Private Guide will meet you at your accommodation if it is located within 1,5 km from the meeting point. If your accommodation does not meet these criteria, the tour itinerary may be changed accordingly If you provide your accommodation address when making a booking, we will arrange for the guide to pick you up from this Gdansk Old Town address. Otherwise, the guide will meet you at the specified meeting point