My Guide Website?
Gdansk Old Town: German Influence Walking Tour3 Reviews
Learn about the historic relationship and cultural exchange between Poland and Germany as you explore the Old Town of Gdansk with a 5-Star Local Guide. Visit St. Mary’s Church.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Gdansk:If youʻre booking your trip to Gdansk last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Discover German influences in Gdansk with a 5-Star Local Expert
- Learn about the historic relationship and cultural exchange
- See the most important sights of the Old Town and visit St. Mary’s Church
- Visit the historic Artus Court to learn about trade
- Enjoy a private tour in your native language, tailored to your needs
DescriptionStep back in time and learn about the historic relationship and cultural exchanges between Poland and Germany on a private walking tour of Gdansk. Immerse yourself in stories of the German Citizens who visited Danzig over the centuries and see how they helped to build the city. Discover the German influence on the history, culture and architecture of Gdansk! Book a 2-hour tour to follow the German trail in the Old Town and visit St. Mary’s Church. A Local History Expert will take you on a journey through over 1,000 years of German-Polish relations, explaining how the free city of Gdansk became a part of the Teutonic Order for 146 years, to Prussia and the German Reich for 126. You will follow the royal route from the Golden Gate to the Long Market as you learn about the wealthy German merchants who came to the city during its heyday looking for amber and other valuable goods. You will pass the Artus Court and Neptune’s Fountain, and take a moment to take in the sights and sounds of Motlawa River, which was one of the most important ports of the Hanseatic League. Throughout the tour, you will meet notable German personalities such as astronomer Johann Bernoulli, the Nobel Prize-winning author Günter Grass who set his famous Danzig Trilogy (including The Tin Drum) in Gdansk, and Barthel Ranisch who is credited for building the eye-catching Royal Chapel. The final attraction will be a visit inside the magnificent Church of St. Mary, where Martin Opitz, a brilliant German Baroque poet, was buried. Book a 3-hour tour to follow the German trail in the Old Town and visit St. Mary’s Church and Artus Court. This option includes tickets to Artus Court, a symbol of the city's power in the 16th and 17th centuries. Your Expert Guide will show you many German influences inside this exclusive meeting place for merchants, such as the controversial Last Judgment painting by Anton Möller. If you’re interested in the history of the Hanseatic League, then this place is a must-see!
IncludesExclusive German History Tour of the Old Town in Gdansk (number of attractions depends on the selected option) 5-Star Licensed Guide who is fluent in the selected language Free admission to St. Mary’s Church Tickets to Artus Court (3-hour tour only) Pickup from your accommodation (Old Town only)
- Please check your email the day before the tour for important information. Please note that the number of attractions depends on the selected option. Artus Court tckets are not included in a 2-hour tour. Guided tours inside the churches during mass and special events (such as scheduled concerts) are limited, therefore the guide may provide all information outside. Pickup service is available for accommodations / hotels located in the Old Town. Please provide your full address when booking. The itinerary will be adjusted accordingly. If you do not provide your address or your accommodation is more than 1,5 km away from the designated meeting point, the guide will meet you in front of the tourist information sign under the High Gate - Brama Wyżynna, Wały Jagiellońskie 2A, 80-887 Gdańsk.