My Guide Website?
Gdańsk: Family-Friendly History Tour22 Reviews
Learn about maritime history on a family-friendly tour of Gdansk’s Old Town.Visit St. Mary's Basilica and see the Long Market. Extended options: visit the Amber Museum, the Maritime Culture Center.
- Explore Gdansk’s Old Town with a 5-Star Family-friendly Guide
- Enjoy fun stories, riddles and activities for children
- Visit St. Mary’s Basilica, see the Long Market, and hear the legend from Pomeran
- Learn about the gold of the sea at the Museum of Amber (3 and 4-hour options onl
- Play with interactive exhibits at the Maritime Culture Center (4-hour option onl
DescriptionDo you know where to find the lions of Gdansk? Join a Local Guide on the streets of Gdansk’s Old Town to discover the legends and fairytales from Pomerania, and learn about the medieval amber route and maritime history. Enjoy a fun and educational tour tailored to children of any age. Let us take you on an exciting family adventure in Gdansk! Choose the 2-hour option to see the best highlights of the Old Town and learn about Polish history and culture through fun activities, tasks and games for children. Meet important historical figures and fictional characters as you explore the historic streets and embankments lined with colorful tenement houses, churches, old warehouses and gates. Follow the ancient Royal Route that passes by the High Gate and the Golden Gate, and feel the lively atmosphere of the Long Market with all its trendy cafes, restaurants and shops. During the tour you will hear the legend of the Neptune’s Fountain and learn about the merchants who gathered at the Artus Court during the Middle Ages. You will also discover interesting facts about amber and the medieval trading route as you walk along the Motlawa River Embankment. Highlights include the amazing ships moored in the port, and Żuraw, the oldest, existing medieval crane in Europe. The final stop will be the Basilica of St. Mary, which is one of the largest brick churches in the world. In addition to an ornate altar, organ set, and a royal chapel, your children will be captivated by the basilica’s astronomical clock, which starts moving every day a few minutes before 12 pm. For an additional fee you can also visit St. Mary's Tower and enjoy the amazing view over the Old Town. Choose the 3-hour option to learn more about the importance of amber in the Baltic region by visiting the Museum of Amber. Skip-the-line tickets are included to save time. The museum is housed in an old mill and offers informative and interactive exhibits that illustrate how amber is naturally formed, how it is extracted, and how it is used in medicine, as a magical stone and as an artistic material. Both adults and children will be delighted with natural and handmade treasures made out of amber, such as the prehistoric ‘sunken lizard’ or a full-size guitar. Choose the 4-hour option to also play and learn more about Polish maritime history in the Ośrodek Kultury Morskiej, a branch of the National Maritime Museum. It’s a must-do for active kids who like to learn through play as the hands-on exhibits are both fun and educational. Let your kids’s imagination run wild as they play with computer simulators and remote-controlled ships, and listen to amazing stories about maritime life. There will be no time for boredom, and with skip-the-line tickets you can avoid the long lines to the ticket office.
IncludesFamily-Friendly Tour of Gdansk Old Town Highlights with St. Mary’s Basilica, Amber Museum, National Maritime Museum (number of attractions depends on the selected option) 5-Star Private Guide who is fluent in the language of your choice Free admission to the Basilica of St. Mary (all options) Skip-the-line tickets to the Museum of Amber (3 and 4-hour options only) Tickets the “People-Ships-Ports” interactive room in the Maritime Culture Center (4-hour option only)
- Please check your email the day before the tour to receive important information. Please note that the number of attractions depends on the selected option. Tickets to the Amber Museum, National Maritime Museum, and St. Mary’s Basilica and Tower not included on the basic 2-hour tour. If you do not provide your address or your accommodation is too far away from the Old Town, the guide will meet you at the designated meeting point. Interior tours of the Basilica during scheduled events (such as the Sunday, daily and holiday masses) are limited, so parts or the entire church building may be closed on your visit. At such times, you will only see it from the outside. Tickets to the Tower can be purchased for an additional fee (7-14 pln). The usual opening times for the Basilica of St. Mary are Mondays to Saturdays 08:30-18:30; Sundays 11:00-12:00 and 13:00-18:30. The viewing tower is open every day 10:00-20:00.